Serving as a Family through Community Service
Bethany Busy Bee is partnering with other agencies to provide various opportunities for families to serve, invest, or volunteer with them. Research suggests that involvement in these activities builds awareness and compassion for others, decreasing depression and increasing a sense of fulfillment through meaning and purpose.
We start off in September by having parents sign up to bring a meal to show our thanks to the Firemen that will come by to show their firetruck to the kids in October. In October we collect items for Samaritan’s Purse (Operation Christmas Child). In November we pack the boxes for Operation Christmas Child with the items we collected in October such as school supplies, toiletries and toys to be distributed to children in third world countries. There is such a huge need that children only receive a gift like this once in their life. In December we review the Bible story of “Jesus feeding the 5000” and create emergency kits for families to share with people in need. In January, we partner with the Denver Rescue Mission to provide diapers and wipes for their single mothers to assist with their expenses. In March, we partner with Sweet Dreams in a Bag to put together bedding and stuffed animals for children in crisis, transition or shelter. This brings kids a smile to know they have something of their own. You may assist in packaging the items and/or donating the items. In May we partner with North Littleton Promise, hosting a station with various preschool activities during their Cinco de Mayo fundraising event. Families are able to help with the activities such as face painting or lead simple games; or donate prizes. The funds collected are used for summer activities that provide additional education to children that are second language learners. Thank you for your partnership in helping others!
Please remember that all events held at Busy Bee are an opportunity to participate, it is never an obligation simply an invitation!
This is the list of 2020-2021 Community Service Opportunities at Busy Bee:
- September 21 – We will be collecting meal gift cards for the firemen and policemen as part of our community service opportunity. The meal gift cards will be issued to them at their visit to Busy Bee on Oct 5th and Oct. 6th.
- October 26th thru October 30 – Collect Items for Operation Christmas Child (OCC)Boxes.
In efforts to promote community service opportunities at Busy Bee, we participate each year in collecting items and boxes (the plastic boxes serve as a storage bin later for the children) for Samaritan’s Purse, Operation Christmas Child. Please see this link for their official website Operation Christmas Child.
It’s shoebox time again! What a blessing to be a part of this annual project to give shoeboxes of simple gifts to children in need across the world. Compared to those children, we have so much to be grateful for. Each child only receives one box in their life, as they try to offer an opportunity to everyone each year to reach the most children.
To make things simple, consider bringing several of one or two items to go in the shoeboxes. Bring items to Busy Bee by Friday, October 30th. For suggestions or signing up for a specific item please see this link: OCC Sign Up 2020 We will pack boxes Thursday, November 5th & Friday, November 6th from 11 to 1:30 with free lunch bunch during those days for participants over lunch.
- November 5 & 6 Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Packing Community Service from 11:00 to 1:30 pm Join us for a shoe box packing on either day or both if you’d like. We will offer free lunch bunch for those participating over the lunch hour and provide lunch for the volunteers. Please sign up so we can have appropriate staff for childcare with this link: Operation Christmas Child Packing Boxes 2020 Thank you for your participation with our community service project!
- December 18th – “Jesus feeding the 5000” Emergency Kits, Community Service Project We review the Bible story of “Jesus feeding the 5000” and create emergency kits for families to share with people in need. Bring your donations to the collection bin at the foyer by December 11. See this link to sign up to bring an item: “Jesus feeding the 5000” Emergency Kit Donation 2020 Sign Up
- January 25 thru 29th. – Denver Rescue Mission – Community Service Opportunity Busy Bee families collect diapers and wipes for the needy as part of our Community Service. This shows kids how everyone is able to help others that are less fortunate and when you do it in a group, it really impacts many!
- February 8 thru 12th. Valentine’s for Nursing Homes. Children will make a valentine that will be distributed to the residents of 2-3 Nursing Homes to bring them cheer and God’s love.
- March 20 – (Tentative) Sweet Dreams in a Bag, Community Service Opportunity 9 – 12:00 pm Join Busy Bee for a community project packing bags for displaced children. We will be packing a bag for children displaced due to poverty, homelessness, or distressed home environments. Bags include a twin comforter, sheet set, fleece twin blanket, soft pillow, small stuffed animal, toothbrush & toothpaste. Children in temporary housing get to choose their own bag of bedding to keep. You may also donate any of the items listed if you would like, but it’s not necessary. Come participate in giving a helping hand. Lunch will be provided. Please let us know if you have any questions.
- March 8 thru 12th. Act of Kindness. Children will make a bag with a special item and hand them out to someone they choose to brighten their day with their Act of Kindness. Families may add to the bag to personalize the bag for the person the child chooses to give it to (grandma, neighbor, a cousin, a friend, etc.).
- April 26 – 30 – Outdoors “Free” Swap n Shop from 9 – 1:00 pm
- Families may bring their gently used items that they no longer need. All families (even if they do not bring anything) get to look through all the items brought and see if they can use any of the items and take it home with them for FREE. There is no fee and all items that remain after April 30th will be sent to the Arc, therefore please take as many items as you are able to use.
Thank you for joining with us to serve! If you have any other suggestions on how you feel Bethany Busy Bee families and students may serve please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.